PLEASE NOTE: Oregon governor’s office has allowed a partial opening of businesses, so Bridgetown Forge is pleased to announce the re-starting of smithing classes. However, to insure student’s and staff safety, we have introduced a series of measures to minimize the risk of transmission.
- All classes are limited to 8 students, to allow proper distancing.
- Hand sanitizer will be supplied and its use encouraged; shared tools, if any, will be disinfected periodically.
- Door knobs, chairs and other frequently touched spots will be periodically sanitized.
- Open bay doors and windows and industrial fans will assure efficient and steady ventilation at all times.
- Students will be verbally screened via email for potential COVID-19 exposure 24 hours before class date, and again verbally before start of class, to minimize everyone’s chance or exposure.
We appreciate your understanding of the necessity to take these extra precautions during the ongoing pandemic
CLASS: Forging a Rocker Knife
In this fun class, you will forge a 6-inch, rocking knife out of a high-carbon steel bar, stamp it with your initials, clay-harden it to produce a Japanese-style differential heat treatment, temper it, and hand-hone it to a razor sharpness on a water stone. Rocking knives are very useful for chopping and mincing herbs and vegetables; it also works great for slicing pizza and cutting up chicken. The knife is unique in that the blade and handle are forged from a single piece of steel, which is aesthetically pleasing while providing a great learning opportunity in manipulating hot steel. The photo represents the knife you will be making. The class will also cover the ergonomic forging method, and the theory and practice of heat-treating steel. The knife, and anything else you make is yours to take home.
The class fee is $480 and includes all materials and safety equipment. The class is conducted on Saturday-Sunday.
The class is limited to 8 students.